Saturday, January 26, 2013


@ Hawaii

My name is Thomas. I’m a junior majoring in physiology and neurobiology with aspirations of becoming a health care provider. A little background: I was born in South Korea and came to the United States at the age of 3, eventually settling down in Potomac, MD and quite recently, West Friendship, MD. I’ve been a violinist for 9 years, martial artist for 6 years, and part of a dying but proud breed of stickshift drivers for 5 years. When not consumed by school or work, I enjoy weightlifting and find it to be one of life’s great stress relievers.
            Community service has been a big part of my life ever since the sixth grade. Meeting diverse individuals in my community who I otherwise would never have met has always been an eye-opening experience. The numerous interactions I have had with the people I have served have kept me grounded and humble throughout my upbringing. It’s put my life in the context of others and affects the choices I make every day.
            I have had previous experiences with rural poverty in other third world countries but never in the United States. It is why I listed Bland, Virginia as one of my top choices. I think it’ll be very interesting to learn about the economical, social, and political issues that relate to the sources of rural poverty in Bland, Virginia. I especially look forward to learning about the daily lifestyles the people of Bland, Virginia go through and what dreams, aspirations, stories they may have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment